School Coronavirus Letter

March 11, 2020
The top priority of the Muskingum County Board of Developmental Disabilities is the health,
safety, and well-being of our students and staff at Starlight School.  Accordingly, we have been
closely monitoring the news surrounding the outbreak of the COVID-10, commonly known as
The Muskingum County Board of Developmental Disabilities – Starlight School is working under
the guidance of the Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department, the Ohio Department of
Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding Coronavirus disease 2019
(COVID-19). Our school and agency rely on these agencies for guidance relating to health and
well-being procedures. The situation around the international outbreak of COVID-19 continues
to develop. Call 740-454-9741 or visit for up-to-
date local information on COVID-19.
As of this morning, the State of Ohio has three confirmed cases of COVID-19, so Muskingum DD
is implementing the following proactive measures at Starlight to help reduce the possibility of
exposure and to help protect our students, staff and community through the end of day on
March 31, 2020.
-  Beginning tomorrow, Thursday March 12, all school-related field trips, travel, and planned
   community events and outings are being canceled.
-  We will work to limit visitors to our school unless absolutely necessary, including volunteers.
-  Our transportation department is thoroughly wiping down every single school bus daily.
-  We will implement hand sanitizing times throughout the day to assure a minimum numbers
   of times that students and staff wash their hands.
-  We are cleaning and disinfecting high-touch areas in all of our buildings two times per day.
When a student is ill, deciding whether to send them to school is not always an easy decision.
Please remember that anytime a student has a fever they should not attend school. If a student
has a fever, we will be calling the parents to come pick them up. Also, if a student is displaying
any flu like symptoms, as a precaution, they should not attend school that day. Many of our
students are medically fragile, and contracting a virus can be life-threatening.
As of right now we are not planning on closing the school, but as a precaution families should
plan for at least two weeks of child care if the school was forced to close. We will continue to
closely monitor this situation and follow our school safety plan, making changes as needed at
the discretion of the RN and the Superintendent. If you have questions, please feel free to call
the school office.
Brent Brannon
Program Coordinator
Print This Article
View text-based website